Private fishing trips beginning at $400.00:
Inshore & Nearshore charters with a true Clearwater, FL native!.
Please see “BOOKING POLICIES” below for instructions on how to book.
Inshore Fishing Trips (Bays, Rivers, & Flats):
Half Day (4 hrs) = 400.00 for 1-2 clients
3/4 Day (6 hrs) = 600.00 for 1-2 clients
Full Day (8 hrs) = 800.00 for 1-2 clients
The third-sixth clients are 50.00 per person.
Ask about our nigh time shark or snook tips, our corporate group trips, or a visiting a barrier island while on charter.
Nearshore Meat Fish Trips:
Gag grouper digging is from July 1- Dec. 3;
Spanish & King Mackerel runs are spring and fall;
Gulf of Mexico fishing for White Grunts is year round;
Half Day (5 hrs) = 500.00 for 1-2 clients
3/4 Day (7 hrs) = 700.00 for 1-2 clients
Full Day (9 hrs) =900.00 for 1-2 clients
The third-sixth clients are 50.00 per person.
Should you choose to keep fish a few sport fish, we will clean them for you at no additional cost. (On inshore or nearshore trips when a cooler of fish is caught, then fish cleaning is $50.00 per cooler).
To Reserve A Trip Call: 727-378-2017
- We accept Cash, Checks, & Credit Cards.
- Reservations can be made by providing a credit card number at the time of booking (we do not charge your card at that time) or by mailing a check within one week of talking to us. All payments are made after your charter.
- If you reserved by credit card and choose to pay by credit card after your charter, please be sure to have your credit card with you. We process payment through a swiper on our smart phone.
- If paying by cash or check on the day of your trip, a credit card number is still required to reserve the charter.
- Customer cancellations within 24 hours of scheduled trip time are non-refundable when prepaid by cash or check, and when reserved by a credit card.
- Customer cancellations within 7 days of scheduled trip time are 50% non-refundable when prepaid by cash or check, and when reserved by a credit card.
- All rates are based on booking the boat for one group of customers. You will not share the boat with other customers outside of your own party.
- Tipping is customary @ 15-20% of the charter rate. Quoted prices do not include the tip.
- Gift Certificates are available.
Clearwater Fishing Charters is a full time operation. Part-time captains with cut rate prices often do not reflect the commitment to excellence we espouse on our trips. When it comes to fishing the old saying is true, “You get what you pay for.” Likewise, we do not offer “No fish, No Pay” gimmicks. Certain fish are easily captured and we would not disservice our valued clients with such practices. We are here to give you a top notch quality experience.
How To Prepare For Your Trip:
- Make sure you have sun screen and other sun protection.
- Make sure you are dressed fro the appropriate time of year.
- Bring your own food and drinks (alcohol is allowed). We provide a cooler with ice.
- We provide all necessary fishing equipment and licences.
Our Fishing Techniques:
King & Spanish Mackerel
Our two main strategies for these fish are slow trolling live baits and heavily chumming over bottom structure. This day of fishing begins with the hunt for sardines or hearing. Sometimes they are captured easily by a cast net and other times it can take a few hours. Patience must be applied in the bait catching process. Once the bait is caught. It is time to head out to the nearshore reefs and live hard bottom.
For mackerel, we look for big pods of bait and diving birds. Slow trolling begins by placing two lines out, then placing the rods in holders and driving around 3 knots or less over live bottom. When the mackerel hits there is no mistaking it. Your line starts peeling off the reel and the fight begins. It is not uncommon to catch a King mackerel of up to 40 lbs.
Sometimes it is better to anchor and chum the mackerel up to the back of the boat. Your captain will find the best part of the reef and develop his anchor course. After the hook (anchor) is set in the bottom it is time to start fishing. Many times the mackerel can be site cast to. Spanish mackerel are considered a meat fish, that is, you can fill your coolers up with them.
Grunts & Grouper
The great things about the grunts is that they are easy to catch and they are plentiful. Grunts are caught on cut squid. Your captain will find the correct bottom by monitoring the fish finder. Then, he will anchor the boat on top of the structure. The fishing lines are dropped to the bottom.
When the bite is felt, instead of jerking, the proper technique is to reel. When bottom fishing, the line develops a bow in it due to the current. Therefore, jerking does not move the hook. It only straightens the bow in the line. Turning the reel handle is what actually moves the hook into the fish’s mouth. These same procedure apply to grouper.
Snook, Red Fish & Trout
Like mackerel, fishing for these game fish often requires that live sardines are caught. This bait catching process can be time consuming, but is well worth it.
Snook are caught in the rivers in cooler months and in the passes or on the beaches in the warmer months. Being one of the hardest inshore species to land, when they are caught, we consider them the fish of a lifetime.
Red fish can be caught on the grass flats and around docks year round. In the spring, reds will begin to school. In the early fall the schools will reach their peak. Then in the late fall, they will break up. The breeders will move offshore, and the rest will scatter on the flats, in the rivers and around docks.
In the cooler months, slot sized trout migrate to the deeper canals and rivers, but the breeder trout often look for shallow sand spots on the flats. In the warmer months, the slot sized trout will move back to the flats and the breeder trout will move to the passes.
As with most other species, finesse fishing is the key for these three game fish. Strong hook sets, waving the rod tip around and reeling against the drag are practices that are sure to diminish your chances of getting that trophy fish to the boat, but don’t worry. We are committed to helping our clients capture quality fish.